Write journals on the following topics:
- Describe the factors that combined to make the United States a mature industrial society after the Civil War.
- Discuss how the West was transformed economically and socially in this period.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Gilded Age political system in meeting its goals.
- Illustrate how the economic development of the Gilded Age affected American freedom.
- Describe how reformers of the period approached the problems of an industrial society.
- explain the origins and significance of Populism.
- Explain how the liberty of blacks gave way to legal segregation across the South after 1877.
- Examine how the boundaries of American freedom tightened during this period.
- Explain the emergence of the United States as an imperial power in the 1890s.
- Explain why the city was so central a place for the progressive movement in the United States.
Each separate entry should:
o contain a minimum of 120 words.
o consist of a summary, paraphrase, and synthesis of material you are reading/studying in this course.
o be written in your own words – do not quote the work of others verbatim.
o discuss the subject matter that you are studying – do not simply agree/disagree.
· Your study involves, first and foremost, learning the nation’s past; doing so requires a review of previously published studies, so you are encouraged to conduct research using outside resources, but be sure to draft your journal entries in your own words.
o Direct quotations should not be used; citations are not necessary.
o Do not copy/paste information from any source.
o No citations