Questions to consider:
1. Why did the United States begin to focus outwardly during this period? Keep in mind – this could be a discussion of MANY different factors!
2. How did race shape arguments about expansion and politics during this period?Primary Source Questions
Rudyard Kipling, “The White Man’s Burden”
1. What is the “White Man’s Burden”?
2. What argument is Kipling making in terms of imperialism?
3. Is imperialism a positive or a negative, according to this poem?
McKinley on American Expansionism
1. Does McKinley reveal a clear vision and goal in regard to the Philippines? Why or why not?
2. According to McKinley, what options did the United States have in regard to this territory? Why was it a difficult decision? What position was the United States in at this point?