Help me study for my Engineering class. I’m stuck and don’t understand.
You are to imagine that you are part of a junior engineering team assigned by the management of an engineering firm to produce a report discussing the implementation plan for a proposed project. You will need to do the following:
- Select an engineering based project (either an existing one or one created by you).
- Evaluate current industry best practices as they relate to organisational and project management in medium and large scale engineering enterprises.
- Research new engineering and project management approaches and reflect critically on their significance to engineering practice.
- Prepare the following:
- Provide recommendations for this case study as informed by your research into industry best practice (in particular, using project management tools/processes)
- Write a 15 to 20 page report addressed to the management of the Engineering firm according to the following structure:
- A full scope (review the project charter document as a starting point)
- A complete work breakdown structure (WBS) including cost and duration estimates for all work packages
- A complete PERT chart with a clear indication of the critical path and possible slack/float times.
- Executive Summary
- Section 1: Introduction
- Section 2: Clear description of the project
- Section 3: Analysis of charts
- Section 4: Discussion of current industry best practices, and new engineering and project management approaches
- Section 5: Conclusion and recommendations
- Section 6: Challenges faced in producing the required information, strategies for overcoming the challenges and lessons learnt;
- Section 7: Demonstrated competencies (outlined in the Stage 1 Competency Standards for Professional Engineers) you believe you have shown, and the extent to which you have demonstrated these in preparing this report
- Reference list; and
- Appendices that include the following deliverables: WBS, Gantt and PERT charts and scope/other documents used.
A Gantt chart identifying task interdependencies and milestones
See Appendix 3 for Assignment 2 Group Report Marking Rubric.