1) To begin, read The Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. Du Bois. This book is read in African American history courses across the nation. It is as relevant today as when he wrote the essays.
2) Choose one of the following lectures to watch:
Professor Chester Fontenot on the “Life and Legacy of Booker T. Washington.” He posits that Washington is the greatest African American leader of all time. Note that there is at least one serious historical error. Martin Luther King, Jr. is not the first person to declare that war is wrong. I am a contemporary historian and I know that at the end of the nineteenth century a Persian religious leader discussed that in depth.
Professor Maurice Jackson on the philosophy of W. E. B. Du Bois.
3) Complete and integrate into your debate analysis what you learn from the interactive exercise, Washington or Du Bois?
4) You will be assigned what your position is. Post an argument of at least 300 words. You must counter the arguments of at least 2 other students with responses of at least 200 words. You are encouraged to respond even more. Your two best responses will be graded. Do not forget that you must demonstrate in your arguments that you have learned from all the required work. It is important that you properly cite (according to the citation style of your major) so your opponents will know from where you took your information.
5) Remember each week to check the grade book for my feedback, and click Comments.
6) Read the lesson for this week.
You have been divided into two groups. Group A will support Booker T. Washington’s position. Group B will support W. E. B. Du Bois’s position. To participate in the debate, you need to research both positions. The required work will help you. Who will you be in the debate? Your character does not have to be an actual historical figure. You can be, for example, a domestic servant or a sharecropper. Just make sure that you ground your analysis in academic sources and you demonstrate you have done all the required work by integrating it into your debate positions. Stay in character for your responses because each response is part of the debating.
Group A: Your last name begins with A-M.
Group B: Your last name begins with N-Z.
The initial post will be at least 300 words. You are then required to continue the debate by posting responses to the arguments of the opposing group. At least two responses must be at least 200 words. You are encouraged to post more than this. Your two best responses will be graded. Whatever you write should be in character. Be creative! Remember that everything you argue, although in character, must be grounded in academic research and must demonstrate you have done the required work.
PLEASE SEE ATTACHED LET ME KNOW IF ANY QUESTIONS