GOAL: You will analyze your thinking about human behaviour, apply the fundamental theories of psychology in the aforementioned analysis, and identify and describe each of the theories discussed in this module as the evolution of modern psychology and sub-fields in psychology.
You will analyze your thinking about human behaviour
DISCUSSION 2: THE HISTORY OF PSYCHOLOGY
GOAL: You will analyze your thinking about human behaviour, apply the fundamental theories of psychology in the aforementioned analysis, and identify and describe each of the theories discussed in this module as the evolution of modern psychology and sub-fields in psychology. The ability to do the above will be measured in the completion of this discussion and an exam.
1. Before going any further, please take a few moments and carefully think about this question:
“Why do people behave as they do?”
Write down your answer that question as your response will become the foundational piece of this discussion post.
2. Please be sure to also have completed the History of Psychology Homework page and to have reviewed the PowerPoints contained in Module 2.
3. It is important to recognize that this chapter discusses many theories of human behaviour. The “Research Methods in Psychology” chapter provides a definition of “theory” and it is useful to review that. My preferred definition of a theory is “A plausible explanation of observed phenomena.” This means behaviours that are seen are explained using rational thinking. That is, the explanation is believable and within the realm of reason.
4. Having done the requisite reading, please complete the following discussion post:
a. Briefly summarize how you answered the question in Task 1-an example would help to illustrate your thoughts.
b. Then, which ONE of the psychological theories presented in this chapter most agrees with your thinking? Additionally, which ONE theory seems to be the most opposite of your view? Also, be specific and provide information from the text to support your ideas.
NOTE: You must pick ONLY one theory in answering each of the above questions. While that may be difficult, you must make a choice.
4. Lastly, a total of five points are available for this discussion.
5. Finally, please be sure to follow all of the directions for discussion posts as contained in that specific Bb folder.